
Our beloved President Gordon B. Hinckley, what a marvelous man he was, and always will be. I am so saddened to hear of his passing away, although I admit it did not hit me until we returned home and I turned on the TV and I saw his wonderful face, and heard his voice and I realized I would no longer hear his voice in person. And that was when the tears came, fast...
I still remember the last time that I heard him speak personally. Jonathan and I had the opportunity to attend the last general conference. An opportunity that we felt was very special. We did not have tickets but we went anyway and decided to wait in line to try to get a seat. We arrived very early, but still found a VERY LARGE line to get into the line to wait to hopefully have the experience of actually being in the building where inspiration and love and guidance would be delivered. As we waited in line, we were certain that as time passed we were still very far away from the door and we had come to the decision that we might as well leave and make it home to watch the session there. Just before we took off we were approached by a couple who asked us if we would like to use their tickets, they went on to explain that they were from out of state and that they felt blessed to be able to go to every other session and felt strongly that they should give another couple a chance to be at the last session. Jonathan and I eagerly accepted the tickets and quickly made our way to the building. We found seats in the last row; we thoroughly enjoyed our time being there. To hear the words in that magnificent building, and hear the word of God come directly from the mouth of our beloved leaders is an amazing experience. Yet I will never forget the last 5 minutes of that meeting. The closing song of the session was "We Thank the Oh God for a Prophet", I will ABSOLUTLEY NEVER FORGET the feeling in that room as each and every latter day saint gathered in song to honor our prophet, our beloved Gordon B. Hinckley. The man of a thousand smiles, a friend, a man who embodied the very aspect of walking in the light of Christ. His guidance and Love will never be forgotten. A man who has arguably done more for our church than Joseph Smith himself, our prophet seer and revelator. It was as if time stood steel and he touched each and every person’s heart in that building, and testified of the truthfulness of the gospel. It seemed simultaneously everyone rose from their seats to honor our beloved prophet. It seemed as though we each felt that special feeling and felt the need to let Him know of the love we have for him. I will never forget as each apostle rose in their seats, and as Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley rose in his seat slowly, but with a smile, strong in spirit, and proud as can be. I will never forget that moment. There are rare moments, outside of the temple, that the spirit can be felt so strongly. That was one of those special moments, and I shall never for get it. I can't express how happy I feel for him that he is now with HIS beloved Marjorie. I can't imagine spending a day in another world from Jonathan, his strength, and sadness in being separated from her were both quite obvious. Having said that I love President Gordon B. Hinckley very dearly and he will be missed sorely. Yet I rejoice in the remembrance of the life he lived, and in the happiness I know he feels to be with his wonderful wife, and the Father and his Son. I know that he was a true Prophet of God, and I greatly look forward to the day that I get to see him again.
I have posted some links (on the side bar) to some special videos, pictures, and articles of Gordon B. Hinckley. Enjoy
2 comments:
hey! i hope you guys are doing well! it's been so long since we have seen you but i was just reading your blog entry about pres. Hinckley and i think I was at that same conference session when they sang we thank thee oh God for a prophet for the closing hymn. it was like oct. 06 and i too will NEVER forget that, it was so amazing!!
Heidi you are amazing and I know what you mean about it not hitting you until you saw his face and heard him speak I was the same way. I'm sad to say we didn't make it to the last conference but you described it wonderfully!! He was amazing!! Thanks for writing how you felt!!
Post a Comment